1). A certain city is served by subway lines A,B and C and numbers 1 2 and 3.When it snows , morning service on B is delayedWhen it rains or snows ,
service on A, 2 and 3 are delayed both in the morning and afternoon When temp. falls below 30 degrees farenheit afternoon service is cancelled in either
the A line or the 3 line,but not both When the temperature rises over 90 degrees farenheit, the afternoon service is cancelled in either the line C or the
3 line but not both.When the service on the A line is delayed or cancelled, service on the C line which connects the A line, is delayed When service on the
3 line is cancelled, service on the B line which connects the 3 line is delayed.
1. On Jan 10th, with the temperature at 15 degree Fahrenheit, it snows all day. On how many lines will service be affected, including both morning and
(A) 2 (B) 3 (C) 4 (D) 5
2. On Aug 15th with the temperature at 97 degrees Fahrenheit it begins to rain at 1 PM. What is the minimum number of lines on which service will be
(A) 2 (B) 3 (C) 4 (D) 5
3. On which of the following occasions would service be on the greatest number of lines disrupted.
(A) A snowy afternoon with the temperature at 45 degree Fahrenheit
(B) A snowy morning with the temperature at 45 degree Fahrenheit
(C) A rainy afternoon with the temperature at 45 degree Fahrenheit
(D) A rainy afternoon with the temperature at 95 degree Fahrenheit
2). In a certain society, there are two marriage groups, red and brown. No marriage is permitted within a group. On marriage, males become part of their
wives groups; women remain in their own group. Children belong to the same group as their parents. Widowers and divorced males revert to the group of their
birth. Marriage to more than one person at the same time and marriage to a direct descendant are forbidden
1. A brown female could have had
I. A grandfather born Red
II. A grandmother born Red
III Two grandfathers born Brown
(A) I only (B) III only (C) I, II and III (D) I and II only
2. A male born into the brown group may have
(A) An uncle in either group (B) A brown daughter (C) A brown son
(D) A son-in-law born into red group
3. Which of the following is not permitted under the rules as stated.
(A) A brown male marrying his father s sister
(B) A red female marrying her mother s brother
(C) A widower marrying his wife s sister
(D) A widow marrying her divorced daughter s ex-husband
4. If widowers and divorced males retained their group they had upon marrying which of the following would be permissible ( Assume that no previous
(A) A woman marrying her dead sister s husband
(B) A woman marrying her divorced daughter s ex-husband
(C) A widower marrying his brother s daughter
(D) A woman marrying her mother s brother who is a widower.
5. I. All G s are H s
II. All G s are J s or K s
III All J s and K s are G s
IV All L s are K s
V All N s are M s
VI No M s are G s
3). There are six steps that lead from the first to the second floor. No two people can be on the same step
Mr. A is two steps below Mr. C
Mr. B is a step next to Mr. D
Only one step is vacant ( No one standing on that step )
Denote the first step by step 1 and second step by step 2 etc.
1. If Mr. A is on the first step, Which of the following is true?
(a) Mr. B is on the second step (b) Mr. C is on the fourth step.
(c) A person Mr. E, could be on the third step (d) Mr. D is on higher step than Mr. C.
2. If Mr. E was on the third step & Mr. B was on a higher step than Mr. E which step must be vacant
(a) step 1 (b) step 2 (c) step 4 (d) step 5 (e) step 6
3. If Mr. B was on step 1, which step could A be on?
(a) 2&e only (b) 3&5 only (c) 3&4 only (d) 4&5 only (e) 2&4 only
4. If there were two steps between the step that A was standing and the step that B was standing on, and A was on a higher step than D , A must be on step
(a) 2 (b) 3 (c) 4 (d) 5 (e) 6
5. Which of the following is false
i. B&D can be both on odd-numbered steps in one configuration
ii. In a particular configuration A and C must either both an odd numbered steps or both an even-numbered steps
iii. A person E can be on a step next to the vacant step.
(a) i only (b) ii only (c) iii only (d) both i and iii
4). Six swimmers A, B, C, D, E, F compete in a race. The outcome is as follows.
i. B does not win.
ii. Only two swimmers separate E & D
iii. A is behind D & E
iv. B is ahead of E , with one swimmer intervening
v. F is a head of D
1. Who stood fifth in the race ?
(a) A (b) B (c) C (d) D (e) E
2. . How many swimmers seperate A and F ?
(a) 1 (b) 2 (c) 3 (d) 4 (e) cannot be determined
3. The swimmer between C & E is
(a) none (b) F (c) D (d) B (e) A
4. If the end of the race, swimmer D is disqualified by the Judges then swimmer B finishes in which place
(a) 1 (b) 2 (c) 3 (d) 4 (e) 5
5). Five houses lettered A,B,C,D, & E are built in a row next to each other. The houses are lined up in the order A,B,C,D, & E. Each of the five
houses has a colored chimney. The roof and chimney of each housemust be painted as follows.
i. The roof must be painted either green,red ,or yellow.
ii. The chimney must be painted either white, black, or red.
iii. No house may have the same color chimney as the color of roof.
iv. No house may use any of the same colors that the every next house uses.
v. House E has a green roof.
vi. House B has a red roof and a black chimney
1. Which of the following is true ?
(a) At least two houses have black chimney.
(b) At least two houses have red roofs.(c) At least two houses have white chimneys
(d) At least two houses have green roofs(e) At least two houses have yellow roofs
2. Which must be false ?
(a) House A has a yellow roof (b) House A & C have different color chimney
(c) House D has a black chimney (d) House E has a white chimney
(e) House B&D have the same color roof.
3. If house C has a yellow roof. Which must be true.
(a) House E has a white chimney (b) House E has a black chimney
(c) House E has a red chimney (d) House D has a red chimney
(e) House C has a black chimney
4. Which possible combinations of roof & chimney can house
I. A red roof 7 a black chimney
II. A yellow roof & a red chimney
III. A yellow roof & a black chimney
(a) I only (b) II only (c) III only (d) I & II only (e) I&II&III
(i). x+y=10 (ii). 2x+4y=20
7).Is angle BAC is a right angle
(i) AB=2BC (2) BC=1.5AC
8).Is x greater than y
(i) x=2k (ii) k=2y